Flood Wardens are volunteers trained to help and prepare people in local communities that are at risk of flooding. They play an important role in the preparing a community flood plan and putting it in to practice. In Sandgate we would also ask you to meet the Parish Council annually to update us on the flood plan.
- Training takes just 2 hours to complete (training is currently online, with the next FREE courses on 6th October and 9th November from 7-9pm).
- Flood Wardens meet a few times a year to test their flood plan.
- Help local people prepare for flooding.
- Provide a vital link between your community and the emergency responders.
What you’ll get
- Comprehensive handbook.
- Access to a whole host of resources.
- Support from fellow Flood Wardens.
It’s been a while since we’ve had a substantial flood in Sandgate, but that’s no reason not to be prepared.
You would be making a real difference to your community, helping the ensure the safety of neighbours, for a few hours a year. From https://www.kentprepared.org.uk/flood-wardens the responsibilities of being a Flood Warden include:
Helping the community before, during and after a flood
- Identify problem areas within your community;
- Identify vulnerable people and properties;
- Write a community flood plan;
- Monitor watercourses within the community;
- Encourage sign up to free Flood Warnings.
- Communicate the risk of flooding within the community;
- Help co-ordinate the community flood plan;
- Heed emergency services advice at all times;
- Share information from the Environment Agency and emergency services with residents;
- Encourage residents to take action;
- Collect flood event information.
- Assist in the post-flood clear up if required;
- Continue to act as a communication channel;
- Collect post-flood data and photos;
- Assist in the review of the community flood plan.
If you are interested in becoming a Flood Warden, please contact the Kent Resilience Team to organise a training session at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01622 212409.
To register for this training visit www.trybooking.com click buy tickets and search for ‘Kent Flood Warden Training’.06-October-21-and-09-November-21-Training-for-new-Flood-Wardens-flier